Welcome Guest, please login or register.
Username:
Password:

Pages: 1 2 3 »
May 14, 2017, 05:13:37 pm
Memories_Radio

Howdy folks! I'm a relative newbie here on the site, but I've been a DS fan and radio promotions enthusiast for almost a decade now. One of the projects I've undertaken over the last few years is a YouTube channel that acts as a sort of archive for perhaps the most famous and impactful concepts for station campaigns: The "Remarkable Mouth". (A typical "Remarkable Mouth" spot has a female model that introduces a listener to a "remarkable radio station" in her own voice, followed by a shot zooming into a close up of her mouth lip syncing to snippets of banter by DJs, different songs and sometimes callers to the station. When the camera zooms out back to reveal the model's full frame, an offstage voice compliments her by saying that she has "a remarkable mouth", to which she replies "we have a remarkable radio station" in her own voice.) There's a good version with Deborah that's been posted here in another thread before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXmowHeNGM

I have been trying my best to find these commercials (especially the ones with Deborah) throughout the internet, both digging through YouTube commercial compilations and on Facebook groups. For sure, I know that she's filmed spots for 92 PRO-FM in Providence, K-Earth 101 in Los Angeles, and WNOK in Columbia, SC. Some internet research has led me to believe that she may have done the same style of commercial for WRVQ in Richmond, VA.

Is there anyone here that can confirm other stations for which she's starred in the spot and/or upload more to the internet? I felt that this forum would be a good place to inquire. Thanks sincerely for all your help.

May 15, 2017, 12:01:09 pm
Erik
Global Moderator
Supreme Member

Hey Memories,

Welcome to the site! Always good to hear from long-time fans - most of the regulars here fall into that category...

Can't help ya with your inquiry, but someone else here might be able to... Gator has hunted down some of her old TV spots...

May 15, 2017, 04:39:34 pm
Memories_Radio

^ Thanks for the heads up. I knew this would be a good starting point.

May 16, 2017, 12:54:10 pm
Garland English
Supreme Member

Hello Memories Radio. I am a fan who is from Richmond, Va. who remembers commercials in 1982 for a station I cannot remember the call letters to. She did commercials for K-95 FM in the years 1991-1993.It was a country music station. She made all of the commercials from a studio in LA. I don't remember the close ups of her mouth in these commercials. Not until I saw them on the internet and you tube. I don't know how many other stations around the country she did. I have been following her since 1970 when she became the 2nd consecutive Miss Virginia to win the Miss USA Pageant in 1970.She has been into modeling, acting, and these commercials since then. By coincidence it was on the date 47 years ago 5/16/70 that she won Miss USA.I hope I have helped some.

May 16, 2017, 01:15:27 pm
Garland English
Supreme Member

Memories Radio, there is also a link to a radio interview called Python's Paradise Deborah Shelton Interview dated 5/10/2016 in Erik's post above.

May 16, 2017, 05:44:56 pm
Memories_Radio

Hello Memories Radio. I am a fan who is from Richmond, Va. who remembers commercials in 1982 for a station I cannot remember the call letters to. She did commercials for K-95 FM in the years 1991-1993.It was a country music station. She made all of the commercials from a studio in LA. I don't remember the close ups of her mouth in these commercials. Not until I saw them on the internet and you tube. I don't know how many other stations around the country she did. I have been following her since 1970 when she became the 2nd consecutive Miss Virginia to win the Miss USA Pageant in 1970.She has been into modeling, acting, and these commercials since then. By coincidence it was on the date 47 years ago 5/16/70 that she won Miss USA.I hope I have helped some.

Thanks for your input, Garland. I know there was another series of ads put out by the same production company in which she'd recite the benefits of the station she was advertising while quick jumpcuts would attract the viewers' eyes to the screen (all of these cuts were closeups of her face - and she spoke her own voice, unlike the RM commercials). Maybe the K-95 ads were drawn from that concept. There are several examples of this series on YouTube, including ads for KOY in Phoenix, Kicks 101.5 in Atlanta, WCFL in Chicago and WYNK in Baton Rouge. Actually there's one WYNK-FM commercial that kind of combines ideas from the two series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4p2hETrPIc

Hopefully, I'll jog some more memories here on the board. Thanks again for your help, and to all for this wonderful community!  Smile

May 18, 2017, 04:06:28 pm
gator
Supreme Member

Yo Yo, Mr M.R.    stick around for a while...give me a chance to catch up with you. YES, there are a cvouple of projects that are LONG standing, and maybe we can help each other.

I travel A LOT, and have limited time OTR...and sometimes even less when at home, briefly. But, THIS is something to change my attitude on recent living scenarios. So, I WILL get back to this....just keep an eye on The Site. Our past "visitors" come and go REAL quick...please don't be one of "those".   THX. Back to you soon.

GATOR...the one Eric mentioned

P.S.....HOWDY, BUNCHERS!!! icon_wink icon_wink icon_wink icon_wink icon_wink icon_wink (one for each of you)

May 18, 2017, 05:47:46 pm
Memories_Radio

^  I hear the message loud and clear! Thanks for the reply. Hope someone here can help.

May 18, 2017, 10:26:17 pm
Garland English
Supreme Member

Will be hearing from you gator. Hi Gail, hope you had a good Mother's Day.

May 21, 2017, 01:10:17 pm
gator
Supreme Member

Howdy, folks...have a few before company arrives..finally get back to our newbie, Mr Memory (or can I say Mr. M.R.?..almost like "J.R."...don'tchya think?  icon_wink)

But first...a matter of return respect: HOWDY PAPA G !!!!...how's your health? And, Gail had a FINE Mothers Day..spoiled shitless (excuse me, Eric)...multiple gift cards, a balloon, candy, and surf & turf for dinner (she hates flowers). Now, come Fathers Day, I'm expecting a card, a Snickers Bar, and a Whopper with cheese............................. Sad Sad Sad And, straight up: Gail said "THX Pops" for your concern.

And...one more observation: I see The Girl's numbers have been a bit "anorexic" in recent months. However...a resurgence is visible..back to 20K plus, and the month has some life left in it. Glad to see that, even thought the "heartbeat" of this Site a.k.a "The Bunchers", have been extendedly SILENT for quite a while, ME included. Will never understand how this system works...unless a new link was engaged recently...which brings us to today's main event:

To business..........MR. MEMORY RADIO: an official "welcome aboard" to you, sir. If you scroll back through the history of this Site, you'll see NEXT TO NOTHING on outside engagement, aside from The Bunchers (except for the early years, when there was a dedicated select few who had Shelton in the blood). So, understand please, that when a new "alien presence" lands in our front yard, it's "Close Encounters of the "Nth" Kind"...well, to one or two of us, anyway. Kind of a 'kick' to 'see' a new face. So, if nothing else, many thx for that.

As to your search project...well, all I can relay to you is that, a few years back (when I had the time for such things), I, myself, found just a few tid bits, here and there, on The Girl's "advertising career", and thereby posted them. Don't ask me "when"..couldn't tell ya', at this point, to save my life. But I do remember my favorite being for WCFL here in Chicago, whereby she lip-synced several pop tunes of the day, with a mouth close up...I believe she did the recorded the concept for a Vancouver station (and, I haven't checked YOUR link yet, but I will).

However..............HOWEVER..........as far as THIS Shelton fan is concerned, and along with a gozillion Chicago residents in my age bracket who remember this gem, the ABSOLUTE BEST AD (of any kind) that Miss D ever graced was the Chicago Health Club TV commercial circa 1971/72...it starts with Our Girl, in a yellow bikini (of all bikini's) walking SLOW motion down a beach (Oak St Beach, to be exact) looking down at the sand, then slowly looking out over the lake (Lake Michigan, to be exact again)..then it switches to interior CHC shots, membership offers, verbal printage, and other boring crap...then ends with Our Girl CLOSER to the camera as she was originally, with a slow "look up" to the camera eye, and with a look, and seductive smile, that could cause cardiac arrest (aside from a couple other unexpected bodily functions)...and ALL this, I might add, with (as I like to coin the phrase) hair down to South America!.

Ok, now lest you think I'm some sorta "prevert" (mispelled on purpose), please understand that THAT was the sentiment back in the day. THAT commercial was the talk of the town..talk radio, talk TV, the papers, and every bar in the city...not to mention every local college campus, where beer was in the water coolers, and a nickel bag REALLY was a nickel bag...5 bucks! Hence...our "about to mature" male glands were playing the minute waltz in 50 seconds! Fast forward 45 years, and the "memory echo" of that advertisement is still kicking around, like an unborn infant at 8 1/2 months....WHEN i happen to think of it.

ERGO..in the spirit of supporting this Site, and also in an attempt to feel 19 again (what the hell, why not?), I engaged in a search for this beauty a couple of years ago. My navigation finally led me to The Chicago Museum Of Television and Radio (which provided those tid bits I posted, but NO commercial), and eventually to WWME ("ME TV"), where, I discovered to my elation, that they "probably do have the gem in their library", but the...............(gotta be careful how I word this)..........snivily little dildo of a man in the archives department (how's that work?) DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO SEARCH IT DOWN, even after I presented my credentials as a "board member of The Site", and President of the Illinois Film Club (which I am), and that this was strictly for open demonstration for a public internet site..no financial consideration was planned, or necessary. (I have to give him THIS much: 7000+ items ARE a bit much..but, can't computers whittle that down a little? I mean, are they ALL in alphabetical order on shelves? No Problemo..I"LL help him look).

Anyway...it ended up a closed door...for THAT moment, at least. Since then, it's been on my personal bucket list to PERSONALLY, and PHYSICALLY, visit the ME TV studio, and attempt a 2nd swing for the fence, only THIS time with a new strategic approach. However, all this traveling (among other things) has detracted me. BUT..with YOUR recent arrival, my "juices" have resurrected on this issue, and I'm actively now looking at the calendar, and planning that new strategy. I truly believe that this "masterpiece" would be the "Crown Jewel" of any post on this Site, and quite possibly one of the best projects that D Girl has ever done, all categories (which I guess doesn't say much for her career, but she had bad management) Nevertheless, WE still love her (however that works), and I'd like to put the cherry on top with this one.

In addition, as long as I'm down there, I could visit WLS, and WCFL, which are two of the trademark stations in ChiTown, and see what I could dig up on YOUR behalf, if that would help. Any additional spots she may have recorded would be on THOSE two stations, considering their venue at the time.

However this all pans out, many thx for your visit, my friend, and the opportunity to kick up some dust on The Site once again. I hope my fellow Bunchers are watching (I know Garland will), and join the fun, for a little while, at least. And, that's assuming that YOU are still "hanging around" Mr J.R.    (i mean)....M.R.

Not hitting the road again til Tuesday. So I'll have a chance to check your reply, "IF" there is one by then. (sorry, we're a little gun shy when it comes to "legitimate" visitors..if you ARE serious, then accept my apology, please...if NOT? well then, we're kinda' used to it...either way, I'm gonna find that gem!  So sweet)

Commitedly yours..........GATOR-GOOF

May 21, 2017, 04:11:03 pm
Memories_Radio

Wow, that is incredible, and I am humbled to have elicited such a response! I don't want you to have to go out of your way to physically find more (unless you were planning to beforehand) -- you've provided such a great wealth of information and I'm happy that there are others interested in the same thing I've been researching for fun. As far as the "mouth" commercials go, I know that Chicago rock station WLUP had a very popular ad with the same concept, but those featured another personality named Lorelei (these were aired around 1979 to 1981). Deborah had done a commercial soon after for WCFL-AM 1000 using the same production company that made the lip sync spots (Chuck Blore & Don Richman Productions) but those were a completely different work altogether. Now I'm wondering if WCFL used the "remarkable mouth" a bit later, perhaps post Dallas in the early 90s... The K-Earth 101 commercials she starred in were done in 1992 or 1993, anyway. Now the Vancouver idea has me wondering which station it may have been. I know CFTR-AM in Toronto and CKY in Winnipeg had versions of their own in 1979 and circa 1976, respectively; the latter, from what I know, did not star Deborah but rather a local personality named Lorraine Mansbridge.

If I happen to find that Health Club ad anywhere on the net, I'll be sure to notify you all on the forums here. I'm not sure MeTV would have it (or any, for that matter), as they only carry an archive of the shows and not necessarily the commercials. Until next time, thanks again and we'll keep in touch through the site.

- M.R. (Yes, that works!)

May 23, 2017, 04:22:11 pm
Memories_Radio

Sorry to double post, but I was doing some digging on the web and I found out that CKLG in Vancouver their own version of the ad sometime in the early 80s. This may be the commercial with Deborah that gator remembers.

May 23, 2017, 05:29:53 pm
gator
Supreme Member

Yo M.R.  In Green Bay at the moment, and saw an alert....had some server problems with your last mag..but seems to be operating now.

Just one quick comment: (have to download a slew of garbage for tomorrow's gig)..I'm virtually certain that ME TV has that gem..they have several hundred classic commercials dating back to mid 50's, and they, in fact, broadcast them from time to time (Beechnut gum and Maxwell House coffee..and "where's the beef?", as some examples)...I WILL FIND IT !!!!

BTW...my e mail is clearly on my profile...feel free to use it, as I'd like to know just a LITTLE more about you...it's PURE CURIOSITY, I assure you...kinda' like discovery of a new "species"...SOMEONE WHO REPLIED MORE THEN ONCE!!!  Know what I mean?

If not, I understand...many other fish to fry. At least we have ONE common denomonater.

"Back to work, Frank"

Gator-goof

May 23, 2017, 05:53:30 pm
Memories_Radio

BTW...my e mail is clearly on my profile...feel free to use it, as I'd like to know just a LITTLE more about you...it's PURE CURIOSITY, I assure you...kinda' like discovery of a new "species"...SOMEONE WHO REPLIED MORE THEN ONCE!!!  Know what I mean?

Ha, good to know - didn't know if it broke protocol like on some other forums I've been on. Other places have some "unwritten rules"...

- M. R.

June 24, 2017, 07:13:09 am
gator
Supreme Member

TALLY HO, MR "MR"...taking the SHORT while I have while home to SHOUT OUT to everyone...the list is long and distinguished. Gotta keep the lines open.

ACTUALLY taking 5 days off starting next weekend (so far, God willing). and will add more detail to next mag. But for now, hope you are well, and still have The Shelton Project on the front burner. We need to kick up some dust...let in some fresh air...rattle the cages...or just shoot the shit a while (sorry, Eric: that's an internet "misdemeanor", I know)

As our friend Didi wouid say: " A BIENTOT, MON AMI"

Gator-Goof, Chi-Town

Pages: 1 2 3 »

admin@deborahshelton.net www.deborahshelton.net