Welcome Guest, please login or register.
Username:
Password:

Pages: 1
November 24, 2012, 09:40:59 am
gator
Supreme Member

As you all know, or may find out here, the renowned Mr. Larry Hagman has left us. THE great 'icon' of the "Dallas" franchise passed yesterday from "complications" due to his long battle with cancer. The news is certainly sudden, and shocking.

The world will respond, each to their own level..or not at all..for whatever reasons. But, here, on this Site, the news will have some ramifications as to our loyalty to the new series, and any future link that the "Mandy Winger" character may have had. What happens now is an "x" factor to the future of "Dallas". Speculation will abound....but, THAT is not important at the moment....

......In the sincere spirit of RESPECT: respect for the gentleman, respect for his family, respect for his collegues, and respect for his contributions to the American arts, on his unique level...we relay our sadness, sympathies, and condolences to that group of "intimates", and will fondly remember Larry Hagman, the Man...and J.R., the 'character' that he immortalized.

And...I believe my fellow Bunch Brothers on The Forum will heartily co-sign this sentiment...we also send our supportive condolences to Miss Deborah Shelton. As we have learned in the past, through Eric, Larry and Miss D were 'pretty close'..professionally and plutonically...at one time, and Deborah always maintained a warmth and respect for him over the years. So, considering The Girl's "big heart" personality, we surmise that she will take this news "badly"....and therefore send her our SPECIAL sympathies for her loss, and long-distance solidarity with her pain....we're very sorry, Miss Shelton.

Fare the well, Monsieur Lawrence...."to a far, far better place then you have ever known"....sleep well, sir.

Gator, G-Girl and Family...The DS 5...Illinois Film Club...  and  ALL Dallas fans everywhere.

November 24, 2012, 11:30:25 am
Erik
Global Moderator
Supreme Member

Well said, Gary, and I'm sure everyone here shares your sentiments.

He was certainly "one of a kind" - highly eccentric, and a truly gifted actor, and he will be missed. He was at death's door several times in recent years, but he always surprised everyone and pulled through, somehow. I guess his lucky streak finally ran out, as it eventually does for us all...

I'll be talking about Larry with Deborah next time we speak. It will be interesting to hear which memories stand out for her.

About the third day of that long, terrible time Mary McGrory said to me, "We'll never laugh again." And I answered, "Heavens, Mary, we'll laugh again. It's just that we'll never be young again."

- Senator Patrick Daniel Moynihan, re his conversation with journalist Mary McGrory following the assassination of US President John Fitzgerald Kennedy

November 27, 2012, 06:32:59 pm
Garland English
Supreme Member

Hi Bunchers,I have known Larry Hagman the actor as much as J.R. Ewing.I saw him as a guest on other shows.I saw him first with Barbara Eden on "I dream of Jeannie",the astronaut,Tony Nelson who landed on an island and found a strange bottle.Little did he know a Genie named Jeannie was trapped nside and he released her from the bottle.He became her master and it was a very amusing comedy.Jeannie's magic got him into a lot of trouble.There were other things,but I guess the main character he is known by is J.R.Ewing.I didn't watch it until Debbie started playing on it.That was just to see her.I couldn't watch when she became his mistress.I already heard about the others and just couldn't watch her in bedroom scenes.I know it was just acting,but couldn't stand to see her in what it portrayed.Anyway he seemed to be the man everybody loved to hate.That had no appeal at all to me.The adultery,the backstabbing and everything else didn't interest me.The whole thing about who shot JR didn't interest me.When I saw Mary Crosby's picture on the front page of the newspaper saying she did it,I couldn't believe so many people were so hung up on that type of stuff that it would be on the front page,but I am not like a lot of people..Anyway Larry was the main star of the series and without him,I don't think they can hold people's interest but for so long.I don't know if they will even try.The younger generation isn't caught up in it but for a few.I will wait and see,but I can't be but so optimisic.Hopefully there are other things for her.I do think of Larry Hagman as a good actor and was one of the Hollywood few who did the opposite of his character.He didn't cheat on his wife.I seem to remember Debbie in an interview saying when she was trying to say her lines during a shoot,he would make faces and started her laughing and they would have to start another take.I am sure she enjoyed working with Larry Hagman.

November 28, 2012, 06:10:59 am
gator
Supreme Member

THX for your observations and comments on this issue, Papa. I appreciate your, shall we say, "unique heart" that you have for Deborah...but, yes, she was just "ACTING". Fortunately, it was a "television" venue, in THOSE days, and rather soft: Love Boat, Cheers, etc. But, as we know, she graduated to a "saucier" venue in following years...and for your sake, I won't go there.

As for the Dallas series: I truly believe (and hope to find out next week) that Production has a Plan "B" for such an occurance i.e. the "loss" of one of the Old Guard..NONE of them are "spring chickens"..and, for that matter, we've seen young, vital Hollywood names "shed the mortal coil" suddenly in the past, too. In my opinion, they should bring in another "heavy hitter"..a LARGE name...to fill the gap..while simultaneously elevating the roles of current "originals" (as they seem to have done with Charlene and Ken at season 1's final 2 episodes)...AND, perhaps, add the more "visible" characters from the past....and that includes "you know who!" The ratings for season 1 seal the deal: the VAST amount of viewers are the "over 50" group, and no one can tell me that the "Mandy Winger" ressurection wouldn't have a SERIOUS impact on those ratings, and give a real "kick" to any story line...HOWEVER they decide to write her in! We shall see......

One final quip on Mr. Hagman: his body of work was, in fact, centered on television...however, THE most memorable, and truly BEST dramatic part of his career that WE in the Film Club are familiar with is his role as "Buck" in the original "Fail Safe" (not to be confused with the 'lame' made fot TV piece with George Clooney). His role was limited as the translator for "President" Henry Fonda, but his scenes were strategically placed near the end of the film, at the peak of the film's story line. His charater's demeanor as a "scared to death, what the hell am I doing here, but I have no choice in the matter" was very well portrayed...plus, the "close up" on his face at THE final, gut-wrenching moment of Fonda's decision to level New York revealed shock AND serious "condolence" for the President..simultaneously. Close up's in a black and white film are a rough proposition for any actor, and I'm sure Lumet directed him appropriately. But, "pulling it off" is another issue, and a director won't risk such a shot unless he believes his actor can produce. Fonda, Walter Mattheau, and Dan O'Hearlehy had their own "moments" in that film...so Larry was in great company. Our compliments, and rememberance, for a POWERFUL performance....here-here.

November 28, 2012, 01:13:17 pm
Garland English
Supreme Member

I saw that movie"Fail Safe" on television,but couldn't remember the title.That was something.An accidetal warning of a nuclear strike from the Soviet Union had the White House extremely concerned.It autimatically  set off a counter nuclear strike.They found out is was a false alarm and tried to call it off,but no matter what they did,it failed.We may have stopped any missiles,but we had a fleet of B52 bombers that we lost communications with.They contacted the Kremlin and had communications with them,but we had to explain what the situation was.The Russian leaders wouldn't accept the explanation ,but made the condition that if one of their cities was nuked,we had to destroy one of ours.No matter how we tried,there was one that coudn't be reached and dropped it's nuclear bomb and destroyed one of their cities.Larry Hagman was the interpreter for the President and was translating what they were saying.If the phone went silent and followed by a screeching sound it would mean that they were destroyed.The President,played by Henry Fonda,had to make a decision.Destroy New York by a nuclear bomb or face all out nuclear war.He chose the latter and I think there was a countdown and New York went up in fire.It satisfied the Soviets and they did not launch a counterstrike.They said on the screen in print that this was just a story and said this was very unlikely to happen.I don't know that I could make a concious decision to murder an entire city of people even under the circumstances,but then I don't have to.After the 1962 Cuban missile crisis,we made it easier to make contact with the USSR.It was called a hotline but it was not a direct phone call to them or them to us.It was written contact.

Pages: 1

admin@deborahshelton.net www.deborahshelton.net